Michael A. Newton's Home Page
Professor, Departments of
Statistics and of
Biostatistics and Medical Informatics (BMI),
University of Wisconsin-Madison .
Interim Chair, BMI, as of July 1, 2018.
- As available, I teach 771 (computational statistics), 775 (Bayesian analysis), 609-610 (Mathematical Statistics), 877 (Statistical methods in molecular biology), and other courses.
- Previous semesters
- I am trainer in several PhD training programs, and am principal investigator for: Bio-data science predoctoral training program
Some research projects
EBarrays is a Bioconductor package implementing parametric
empirical Bayesian analysis for differential gene expression.
rvalues is an R package for ranking and selection in large-scale inference.
Henderson, NC and Newton, MA, 2016 ;
- allez is an R package for calibrating gene-set
summary statistics derived from gene-level genomic data. Utilizes
either Gene Ontology (GO) or KEGG gene sets, and various gene-level
- Rolemodel is an R package for multivariate gene-set analysis
Wang et al. 2015 ;
- dod is an R package for deploying inference in a double over-dispersion model for certain kinds
of sequence count data. Version 2.0, July 2013. dod_2.0.tar.gz .
Pei et al. 2013
- metaflu is an R package for deploying meta-analysis
in a class of RNA interference studies.
Version 1.0, December 2012. metaflu_1.0.tar.gz .
Primary report: Hao et al. 2013 .
- grankp is an R package for computing gamma ranking probabilities.
With Z_1, Z_2, ... , Z_k equal to independent Gamma-distributed
random variables with positive integer shapes a_1, a_2, ..., a_k
and positive rates lambda_1, lambda_2, ..., lambda_k, returned by
the main function is
the (log) probability P[Z_1> Z_2 > ... > Z_k ]
Buffon needle simulation