Sebastian Raschka
Sebastian Raschka
Assistant Professor of Statistics @ UW-Madison

Recommendation Letters

Generally, I am very happy to help you out with recommendation letters, and I want you to be successful in your future career. However, in the past few years, I learned that committing to writing too many letters for too many students is counter-productive, and I don’t want to make promises I can’t keep. Hence, to provide you with well-written recommendation letters, I cannot write more than 100 letters each year (up to 10 letters for up to 10 students).

If you want me to provide a recommendation letter, please make sure the following criteria are met:

1. Please indicate in your email that you have read through this website; for example, by mentioning it or providing a link.
  2. I was your instructor in at least 2 courses, or you have worked on a research project with me; otherwise, I wouldn’t have sufficient information to write you a good letter – I wouldn’t know you too well. Furthermore, the online questionnaires usually ask for how long I have known you, and I know that several graduate school hiring committees will not take letters seriously if they are written by instructors who know applicants for less than a year.

3. Please contact me at least two weeks (14 days) in advance. Also, for applications that are due December-January, contact me no later than November 15th.
  4. You included a list of up to 10 schools you are applying to. This list should include
    • The name of the university;
    • The name of the Ph.D. or Master’s program;
    • The submission deadline.
  5. You provided me with sufficient information to write a good letter:
    • provide information about the position you are applying for (e.g., via a link to the job description)
    • please send me your resume and your CV
    • describe your primary motivations for the program you are applying to so that my letter can be complimentary.

If this sounds good to you, please contact me, and I will be happy to help!